Influences of grahas or planets
What are the nava grahas?
It is believed in Hindu mythology that planets and stars cast their influence on human beings. All the planets or navagrahas move relatively and the stars are fixed in the zodiac. The planets are Mercury, Mars, Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, Sun, Moon, Rahu (north lunar node) and Ketu (south lunar node).
Astrologers claim that planets or grahas affect the energy bodies or auras and minds of all beings on the earth. Each graha casts its influence at the time of their birth and continues till they live on earth. It is mentioned in scriptures and astrological references. These planets transmit universal energy.
How do they cast their influence?
Human beings are able to tune themselves to the specific energy of the graham or planet through samyama with the presiding deity of the planet. When we repeat a mantra, we tune to a specific frequency and it makes a contact with the cosmic power or energy and sends it into the human body and the surroundings.
The planetary movements are mentioned in a person’s horoscope. Some planets may be well placed and some are not. Hence there is happiness and sorrow, success and failure in one’s life. Sometimes, these planets may show negative influences called “doshas”. Astrological scriptures and Vedas mention various poojas to alleviate the negative influences of the planets and enhance positive effect.
We perform several poojas for the nine planets.
1. Graha Shanti pooja of any one planet: If a planet is not correctly placed in a person’s horoscope, shanty pooja or homam to that particular planet will eliminate the negative influences and give better results. Graham shanty is also prescribed when there is mangala dosha or sadesati. If homam or graham shanty is performed during the antardasa or dasa of the planet, the person experiences good results. In general also, if anyone wants enhancement in a particular aspect like health, career, exams etc., can opt for the shanty pooja or homam of the specific planet and see better results.
In this pooja, the suggested items are used for the pooja and recitation of 1008 namavali of the specific planet and 1008 sookta recitation is also performed. This pooja is done by one pundit.
2. Navagraha Pooja: The navagraha pooja is done in the manner suggested in the vedic scriptures with nava dravyas for the nine specific planet. Recitation of navagraha sooktam is done and 108 namavali of all nine planets is recited by two pundits.
3. Nakshatra Shanti homam or birthday homam: It is the nakshatra shanti homam which is performed on the birthday of the client every year for protection against evil effects and good results all through the year. This pooja is done by two pundits.
4. Navagraha homam: All the above poojas along with the recitation of panch sooktas and Sri rudram is done which is followed by a homam with the suggested materials. This pooja is done by four pundits.
5. Nakshatra Shanti Homam: The star constellation wherein the moon is placed at the time of a person’s birth is known as Janma Nakshatra. By performing a nakshatra shanti homam, the doshas are removed and improvement in all aspects of life will be felt. This pooja is done by four pundits.
Graha shanti homam is done with various number of recitations. Depending on the number of recitations, the rates are fixed.