Shaligram – an extraordinary stone – the manifestation of Lord Narayana!
Shaligram is the formless (Nirakar) form of Lord Vishnu. Its significance can be compared with the Shivalinga. Narayana – in his Shaligram form – showers blessings onto his devotees and fill their lives with peace, prosperity & progress. Shaligram god is widely worshipped in temples and is established in mostly Hindu houses.
Source of the natural Shaligram
The sacred Shaligram is only found in the Kali Gandaki River oozes in the valley of Mustang in the Nepal district.Original Shaligram stones are sourced from Nepal only, not elsewhere. The holy river Gandaki is also not ordinary but has a mythological history associated with the union of Lord Narayana and Devi Tulsi.
Why Vishnu was turned into a black stone known as Shaligram?
Vishnu was turned into a black stone because he was cursed for ruining a lady’s chastity. The Shaligram story goes something like this – once there was a demon called Jalandhar who was an anti of deities; although, his pious wife Vrinda was a great devotee of Lord Vishnu. It was her piousness towards her husband because of which it was impossible to defeat Jalandhar.
Knowing the reason of the safety guard of the Jalandhar, demigods seek refuge in Vishnu. For the sake of gods, Lord Vishnu conspires to repeal the chastity of Vrinda – the only means by which it was possible to slay Jalandhar. To accomplish his plan, Lord Vishnu assumes the form of Jalandharand visited Vrinda, the deluded Vrinda assumed Narayana her husband and established a relationship with him; however, when Vrinda realized that the man near her is not her husband, she asked the man to reveal his true self, at her behest, Narayana revealed himself before her. Vrinda, on knowing that her Lord, to whom she had been worshipping till now is the one who has ruined her chastity, she cursed Lord Vishnu saying, Oh Vishnu, by ruining the chastity of a pious married woman, you have done a stone-like Karma; hence, I curse you to turn into a stone forever; saying thus, Varinda reduced herself to ashes, with her ashes grew a holy plant Tulsi (Basil).
When the souls met in heaven, Varinda came to know the cause behind this feat of Lord Vishnu and forgave him, she assumed the form of the river Gandaki in whichShaligram is present in the form of stone. The strong waves of the river water leave Shaligram on the surface, and insects bite the stones with sharp nibs with which varied shapes of Shaligram come out. Not only this but Varinda – in her Tulsi form – was duly married to Lord Vishnu and is still worshipped with him as his beloved wife.Since then, Lord Vishnu’s Shaligram form became popular. It is believed that one who separates the Tulsi leaf from the Shaligram faces separation from the spouse.
Which Shaligram is best?
As mentioned in the Shaligram Vishnu tale, sharp-pointed insects make holes in the Shaligram, which makes different shapes of Shaligram. However, the shape of Shaligram does not lessen or enhance its benefits; hence, all types of Shaligram are equally pious and beneficial.
How to keep Shaligram at home
The steps are as follows:
- Buy the original Shaligram stone from a trusted source.
- Establish it in your worship room or workplace with due respect.
- Bathe the Shaligram with Panchamrit (mix of five liquids).
- Offer Shaligram articles like flowers, Dhup & Deep, rice, and sweets.
- Chant any Vishnu Mantra 108 times and then sing Aarti.
- Establish the Shaligram on a proper Asana (Seat) and worship it daily or at least bow before it daily.
- It is a virtuous Karma to put a basil leaf (Tulsi Patra) on the Shaligram permanently.
Many benefits of the sacred Shaligram at home
Shaligram stone benefits cannot be described fully in verbose; however, some of them are mentioned below:
- It is so powerful and positive that eliminates all negativities out of the house and life.
- It also annihilates misfortune and replaces it with fortune.
- It brings prosperity to the house and leaves no famine.
- It makes the premise luxurious, lavished and royal.
- It makes success a part & parcel of your lifestyle.
- It fills the house with happiness and entertainment.
- It balances all planets and Doshas in the horoscope.
- It removes delays in marriage and makes married life blissful & satisfying.
- It also blesses with the boon of progeny.
- It protects the house of all negative energies, sins, misfortune, mishappenings, and evil eyes.
- It brings in all the health, wealth, happiness, and serenity.
- When Shaligram comes home, Lakshmi comes along with.
Be aware! In the current market, many fake Shaligram stones are being sold. To obtain the mentioned benefits, buy original Shaligram only.